Day 3 of the Christmas Blogging Challenge! This time: My favourite Christmas recipe, mine being a Chocolate Orange Hot Chocolate.
Hot chocolate is something I have throughout the year, but around Christmas time it becomes just that little bit more special. This could be because of Terry’s Chocolate Orange – a default gift at this time of year. This is such a simple recipe, and it is a great way to make use of those chocolate oranges you have building up.
- Terry’s Chocolate Orange
- Milk of your choice, I use semi-skimmed
- Whipped cream
- White shimmer pearls (like those teeth-shattering silver balls, but white)
- Pour a mugful’s worth of milk into a saucepan, and place the saucepan over a medium heat on the hob.
- Take your nearest sledgehammer to break up your chocolate orange, then add it piece by small piece to the milk. You will want to make sure you are stirring steadily with a wooden spoon, not only to make sure the chocolate melts in properly, but also so the milk doesn’t settle in one place and end up burning against the bottom of the pan.
- There’s nothing wrong with doing a few taste tests along the way, just to make sure there’s the right ratio of chocolate to milk suited to your preferences. Personally, I have a disgusting sweet tooth, but for
some people more than a few segments can be a bit sickly.
- Once your chocolate has all been melted into the milk, and looks like this…
…you can pour it into your selected mug, ready for decoration. I don’t want to be a hot chocolate dictator, free expression of edible creativity is very important, but I’ll let you know how I usually do it.
- Start with a layer of whipped cream, setting the scene like the first blanket of snow on Christmas morning.
- Add some fluffy, white marshmallows to really capture that winter wonderland look. Side note: It is recommended that you eat a few marshmallows as you go along, you know, to test them and make sure they’re up to scratch.
- Scatter on a few pearly balls for a bit of crunch and shimmer.
- Finally, if you have any chocolate left over, grate it, and sprinkle over the whipped cream, because there’s no such thing as too much chocolate at Christmas.
And there you have it, a Chocolate Orange Hot Chocolate, perfect for when you’re snug and warm on an evening, curled up in front of a Christmas film that has been repeated for the third time that day. So when you unwrap your 15th Terry’s Chocolate Orange this Christmas, you’ll know exactly what to do with it! Enjoy 🙂
Give it a try and let me know how it goes!
Day 3 Nomination: Zoel Hernández 🙂